Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Remember What You Saw"

I arrived in D.C. last Saturday night. Sunday, before our conference started, a co-worker and I went to the Holocaust Museum. I wasn't sure if it was really something I wanted to do. I knew it would probably be hard to see and take in. Well, I was right. But, one of the things I was most shocked about was how little I knew. That it was not only the Jewish people who were hated and killed. Many other groups of "imperfect", non-conforming people were also targeted. Including, people (even little children) with physical and mental disabilities. Considering the work we do, this was probably one of the most disturbing parts of the museum. I don't even know if that's okay to say. There's no way to compare or process what happened to over 9 million people.
9 million.

The conclusion of the tour was the Remembrance Room (above.)

A sign on the way out said it all, "Remember What You Saw." I know that I always will.

"You are my witnesses." Isaiah 43:10

No comments: